At every age, the greatest single cause of injuries is falls. However, falls are more serious for older adults. Falls can cause injury, pain, loss of movement and function, loss of independence, hospitalization and even death. Falls don’t have to happen when you get older. You can take action to protect yourself and prevent falls, and Trillium Health Partners’ Falls Prevention and Bone Health Program can help.
The program includes:
- an comprehensive assessment at our Fall Prevention Clinic by a nurse practitioner and/or geriatrician and a physiotherapist with recommendations for treatment
- if able, participate in the Strong and Steady program, a two-hour education and exercise session, twice a week for six weeks
- a follow-up visit three months after your program is completed
Research has shown that programs like ours that combine assessment, exercise and education reduce the risk of falls or becoming injured from a fall.
By taking part in this program, you will:
- Improve your strength and balance
- Learn how to make your home safer
- Find out your risk of having a fall
- Learn many ways to protect yourself
Who We Help
We welcome adults 65 years of age and older who live in the community and want to stay strong, steady and independent.
You can take part if you:
- are well enough to be physically active
- can walk 25 meters, with a walking aid if needed
- are able to learn new information
- are able to get to and from the program
Fall Prevention Clinics
Queensway Health Centre
2nd Floor Medical Clinics
150 Sherway Drive
Credit Valley Hospital
Seniors’ Services 1F
2200 Eglinton Ave W,
(905) 813-1100 x5415
Strong and Steady Programs
Carmen Corbasson Community Centre
1399 Cawthra Road
Meadowvale Community Centre
6655 Glen Erin Dr,
Phone: 416-521-4090 OR toll free 1-888-271-2742
A referral from a doctor is required. Please fax referrals to (416) 521-4116.
Resources for Patients & Their Families
How Do I Join?
Talk to your family doctor. If exercise is safe for you, your doctor can make a referral to the program. When we get the referral from your doctor, we will call you to arrange an appointment time.
What Does It Cost to Join?
The program is being offered in partnership with the City of Mississauga Parks and Recreation. There is no cost for joining the program and parking is free.
How Long Is the Program?
To participate, you must agree to attend a two-hour session, twice a week for six weeks. Three months after you finish the program, you will have a follow up visit.
Where Do I Go?
Your assessment will take place at the Trillium Health Centre, West Toronto Site. Please go to the Medical Clinic located on the 2nd floor. When you arrive at Trillium, a volunteer will assist you if needed. The exercise and education classes take place at the Cawthra Community Centre which is located at 1399 Cawthra Road, Mississauga. We will give you the details and a map when you come for your assessment.